So urgent and repeated were the demands for the admission of more students in the Martha Berry School for Girls, that five more were taken in this week a half century ago, bringing enrollment to 75.
In order to accommodate the new girls, three and four girls were rooming together. A recitation hall for the school which would provide room for classes in all subjects was an urgent necessity. Classes were being held in the chapel.
With a recitation building and another cottage, some of the many eager applicants kept out could be taken in.
The beginning of a great school, both in plan and organization, was already here; all that was needed was the public’s support in providing funds for the enlargement and maintenance of the institution.
Extending the scope of its usefulness, The Berry Schools this fall of 1912 included children of the neighborhood.
The “cabin school,” with Miss Lucy Newton in charge, had 21 students, the boys from ages 6 through 14, who would enter the regular school upon completing its course of study.
Manager Love, of the Elite Theatre, installed a slot machine at the entrance to the theatre where drinking cups could be secured by dropping a penny in. He did away with the public drinking cup, and every person buying a ticket got a free cup. This was a step in the right direction and was done as a precaution in preventing the spread of disease through public drinking cups. … Plans were being made to install about 75 telephones in the Enon section, and steps were being taken to organize a telephone exchange at Pinson. … Rome businessmen, headed by H.E. Kelley, were backing the organization of a young men’s athletic club. … Paul B. Trammell, of Dalton, was named chairman of the new Seventh District Democratic executive committee. He promised that the district would landslide for Woodrow Wilson, that it would not go Republican again as it did in 1908. …
City Council took action prohibiting boxing of any character in the city. … County convicts had commenced work on Second Avenue in East Rome preparatory to grading. A coat of asphalt was to be laid from the Southern railroad tracks to Blaylock’s store. … A layer of macadam was being placed on West 1st Street (Tribune Street) between Fourth and Fifth avenues and the sidewalks were curbed with rock. … City Council granted the request that 650 feet of water pipes be extended on Reservoir Street. … Mrs. A.R. Wilkerson, of Park Avenue, Lindale, had 20,000 unwelcomed visitors when a swarm of bees came into her house while she was on the second floor. Hearing a roaring and buzzing noise, she started down the steps and was frightened to run into bees as thick as the air you breathe. She burned some rags and they flew out only to return, and she was forced to use sulfur. …
The Trion Company, successors to the old Trion Manufacturing Co., had taken full charge of the immense cotton factory property at Trion and had begun expenditure of several hundred thousands of dollars in improving it and enlarging the plant and village. C.B. Caperton, of Rome, formerly of the Howel Cotton Company, was named secretary and treasurer as well as plant manager. … The tent meeting on Eighth Avenue closed with 151 converts.
Baptising was held at Watson’s sand bar. … The monument to the memory of the late Edward J. Ponder was unveiled at Pisgah Church this week fifty years ago. … No. 13 through vestibule passenger train, running two hours and 40 minutes late, was compelled to stop in Lindale for the first time in years to discharge a passenger who had gotten on by mistake. … An entire new heating plant had been installed in the First Methodist Church. …