Judge Moses Wright notified Governor Brown that he would accept the judicial district judgeship tendered him last week in 1913. This decision was reached after a conference with a law partner, R.A. Denny, an applicant for the post, who urged him to accept the offer. So at the stroke of 12 Saturday, when the resignation of Judge John W. Maddox, was effective, he became judge in fact as well as name.
The history of the judicial succession in Rome circuit was unique and probably unparalleled since 1886, when Judge Maddox was elected. He served until 1892 when he resigned and Judge Henry was appointed. Judge Henry was defeated by Judge Turnbull, who served until 1895, and resigned, Judge Henry being appointed to fill the vacancy. Then he was elected, serving several years before resigning. Judge Wright was appointed by Governor Brown, and then, this week a half century ago, Judge Maddox resigned and Judge Wright was appointed again. In 27 years four had been judge, three were still alive (Turnbull was dead), each had been on the bench, resigned and then reappointed.
When the Coosa Country Club was built three years before, many in Rome predicted that it would not be a success, believing that the city was too small to support a country club. They had been proven wrong because this time fifty years ago the club was on a firm financial basis, and a number of improvements were being made, with additional property purchased.
The old driveway leading off Branham Avenue was to be closed and the entrance to the grounds changed to a point where the old golf house stood in years gone by, near the river bank. An artistic entrance was to be erected and a bridge was to be thrown across the ravine, making the driveway along the banks of the picturesque Coosa. Plans called for a privet hedge to enclose this part of the property, and poplars interspersed with spruce were set out in the rear of the residences on Branham Avenue.
The tennis courts were being rolled and the completion of the government dam on the Coosa was to widen the river and lessen the current, adding to the attraction of boating. A swimming pool was a prospective feature. All in all, the dues of $2 a month for members was considered a reasonable figure, and the full quota of 150 members was filled.
Arrangements were completed between the city and John M. Graham whereby the dirt from grading of the Wood lot on Broad Street at Sixth Avenue, owned by Mr. Graham, be placed on the city’s property adjoining the library.
Mr. Graham planned to erect a brick garage and other buildings on the lot, and the dirt would help fill in the sunken lot where the city eventually hoped to erect a municipal building. … J. Scott Davis announced that he spent one of the happiest days of his life when he purchased 30 iron beds, springs and mattresses as well as a complete change of bedding and a chair for each bed, for the inmates of the Alms House. … The Georgia Railway and Power Company announced that it was purchasing and would commence operating the transmission lines of the Tennessee Power Company in Rome. … A contract for city lighting was passed by City Council, fixing the price at $44 per year for arcs. …
After 30 years as pastor of the First Baptist Church, Dr. R.D. Headden tendered his resignation. He was elected pastor emeritus at a salary of $600 a year and was to retire when a new pastor was named. The new pastor was to receive a salary of $2,000, or $2,500 per annum. … After a long spell of spring-like weather, the mercury fell rapidly Monday and by 1 a.m. was near the freezing point. Rains had made the rivers rise considerably. The Coosa was in splendid condition for the navigation of boats and they were doing a good business. Silver Creek was on one of the biggest tears since 1909 when it washed down the trestle and concrete bridge at Lindale. It had the appearance of a large river. … D. Anderson, son of Squire Anderson, of Mt. Alto, was cut about the face and neck
in fight with his friend Jud McCraw and several stitches had to be taken by Dr. Shaw to close the gaping wounds. … Superintendent A.W. Walton announced that the municipality owned property in Rome was worth more than a half million dollars. …