The Berry School for Girls opened this week fifty years ago with 70 students selected from the largest number of applications ever filed with the school. This enrollment was 10 more than in 1911, the increase made possible by the Model Cottage built during the summer with funds provided by the Berry Circle of Rome.
The cottage housed eight girls and two teachers, and the students were to rotate living in the cottage, where they were to be taught all phases of housekeeping.
The school for girls was organized in 1909 with an enrollment of five students, and its growth and popularity indicated the need for such a school for rural girls.
Shorter College opened today fifty years ago with more than 200 boarding students on the first anniversary of its new location in West Rome.
New telephone lines continued on the increase. No less than 25 telephones were in Lindale and vicinity by 1912, together with 13 in the private exchange of the Massachusetts Mills. Only four years before there was only one telephone line in Rome, that being to the mills. At a called meeting at the Pinson schoolhouse a telephone line was organized, and R.M. Gibson had just installed a telephone at his residence, Lake View. … Some citizens were objecting to City Council’s decision to construct East 9th Street 49 feet wide with an 11-foot driveway on either side and 18 feet reserved in the center for street car tracks. They thought it was too wide, but council turned down their request to narrow it. … Attention of council was called to the sewer overflow on Seventh Avenue, with some damage already done to the property along the street due to the inadequacy of the sewers. The city engineer was instructed to make an estimate of the cost of remedying the situation and the Board of Public Works was told to cut a ditch to afford temporary relief. …
Construction on the Mark McDonald Memorial Church on Eighth Avenue was to commence at once. Of its total cost of $3,000 some $2,500 was already raise and the balance assured through the work of A.B.S. Mosely and his committee. … The organization of a new bank, a new hotel and a new drug store to occupy the site of the old Southern Hotel across from the east Rome depot was in the making this week fifty years ago. Stockholders William DeLay, W.H. Collins, S.L. Graham and John B. Chiles had purchased the property from John M. Graham. … The firm of McCartha Brothers, which had been operating the Etowah Garage at 303 East 1st Street, was dissolved and sold to Seay-McCartha Automobile and Garage, the owners being John Seay, S.R. McCartha and R.M. McCartha.
The Tribune-Herald sent the first campaign check from public contribution to the Woodrow Wilson campaign for the presidency, directing the check to Mrs. Wilson, former Roman, as a compliment to her. … The Negroes of Rome were circulating a petition among its most prominent citizens inviting Booker T. Washington to come here in the fall of 1912 or in early 1913. … The Lindale subscription list for the Tribune-Herald had increased to 280. …