The eyes of Rome and the nation were turned to Washington this week fifty years ago when Woodrow Wilson was inaugurated President of the United States and Thomas R. Marshall took the vice presidential oath of office, thus returning to the Democrats the control of the executive branch for the first time in 16 years.
President Wilson pronounced the occasion a day of dedication, not of triumph.
Some 250,000 visitors, including many Romans, saw the greatest parade ever known, which continued for five hours. The Lindale Rifles appeared as one of the best drilled companies in the procession.
Mrs. Wilson, the former Ellen Axon of Rome who sat in a box with members of the family, became so thrilled over the enthusiastic throng that she ran to the front of the box and waved at the crowd.
After the inauguration, former President Taft, his family and a group of friends left by train for Augusta for a month’s vacation. Afterward, Taft was to become professor of law at Yale University.
The paving on East Fourth Street was completed today a half century ago, and work was started on East Fourth Avenue. Sheet asphalt, different from any other paving in the city, was being used with the final treatment of a coating of marble dust, which gave the appearance of snow. The children were utilizing Fourth Street by roller skating. … It was announced that work on the dam at Mayo’s bar would be completed by the end of 1913. … The Rev. W.B. Mitchell had accepted a call from Mark McDonald Memorial Church and Mrs. John C. Foster was to organize a Women’s Missionary Union at the church Sunday. … Jack Reidy, of Chattanooga, was named manager of the Rome Baseball team, which was to be in the Appalachian League. …
The news that the big mill pond at Young’s Mill was no more was read with regret by fishermen. From an unknown cause the dam gave way, letting out the large volume of water and washing thousands of fish into the Oostanaula.
Dr. Young had one of the finest stocked ponds in the state, which had been alive with trout and bream. It was the stamping ground of Judge Mark Eubanks, who had fishing at Young’s Mill down to a science and could catch more fish than any devotee of the hook and line. … Sheriff Dunnehoo and son, Deputy Sheriff Henry Dunnehoo, had a narrow escape from serious injury while driving a pair of spirited horses to their home in Boozeville. The animals were hitched to a new buggy bought that day, and something broke, frightening the horses, who ran away. Both men were thrown from the buggy and the younger man was injured in the leg. They had to walk home, but one of the horses arrived ahead of them, with part of the harnesses dangling, which frightened the family. The buggy was badly damaged. …
Captain Herbert Coulter went down to Gadsden in the steamer Dixie this week fifty years ago. He had been a pilot on the Coosa for 46 years. … A University Club, composed of college men, was organized by the Manufacturers and Merchants Association, which also sponsored the organization of the merchants of the city, who met and planned a meeting luncheon and smoker for the following week. Will Wyatt was elected president of the newly organized auxiliary of young men from the M and M. … from Pinson News by Major Tom Noodle: “Plenty of talk was going in this section since the telephone has been installed. Everybody knows everything”. … Barker’s District, south of Lindale, was the only district in Floyd County still completely without telephone service. According to the Tribune — Herald of 1913, the telephone was no longer a luxury. It was a necessity to the farmers as well as the city dweller and had come to stay. …